Science Bee was introduced in 2010 with an objective to inspire and nurture the interest and understanding of science among students in grades 1 through 8. Science Bee provides enrichment to our children’s academic life and provides a platform to prepare them for scientific careers.
The Science Coaching program is based on the following principles:
- It is an inquiry based learning program.
- The kids learn to ask questions and seek answers.
- They learn to think using scientific enquiry method.
- They are encouraged to do experiments, discuss their observations and answer fellow students’ questions.
- Along with inspiring curiosity and interest in Science, we explore the concepts of science, as outlined in the syllabus for Junior, Intermediate and Senior level.
Levels in Science Coaching
- JSC - Junior Science: Grade (1-3)
- ISC - Intermediate Science: Grade (4-5)
- SSC - Senior Science: Grade (6-8)
There are no sub-levels within each of the JSC/ISC/SSC levels. We strongly believe all kids learn at their own pace. The more exposure they get, the better is the depth of their understanding.
Duration of Coaching Session
The Science coaching session typically runs for 15 weeks with one class per week for 2 hours.
Interesting Read - How Science works
Science depends on interactions within the scientific community. Science is exciting, dynamic and unpredictable. Science relies on creative people thinking outside the box. (Source: Understanding Science - How science really works.)
Our science coaching follows this concept.
1. How does online coaching work?
Students login into their NSF account using the student login credentials. In their View Status for Coaching page, there will be links to JOIN the class. You will join meeting using the web-address and dial in to the phone number provided for your class. You may also use computer based audio if your internet speeds support good quality audio and your computer has microphone and speakers. The first 15 minutes of the class will be dedicated to going over homework assignment from previous week followed by discussion of new topics.
2. What materials do we need to have in order to attend the online coaching?
This is an online class. You need a Computer with headphone and microphone and/or phone (with ability to mute).
3. Is it mandatory for my child to participate in Science Bee competition if he/she attends coaching?
No, it is not compulsory to participate in the competition. Your child can attend coaching just for enrichment and to improve their science knowledge.
4. What do they actually learn in the coaching classes?
Please refer to - Science Syllabus
5. I registered my child, but I haven't yet received any communication...
Your child's coach will contact you few days before the beginning of the class. If you have to contact us on any important issue, please open a Support Ticket on NSF site or send an email to email@example.com. Someone will contact you.
6. How can I change class to a more convenient day and time?
Parents can change the classes themselves from the Parent Functions page, using “Change Coach” option, for up to two weeks after the coaching session starts, provided space is available.
If you find another class for the same level at a more convenient day and time, you can go ahead and change yourself.
7. Change coach is greyed out. How can I change coach?
You are allowed to change the coach from the Parent Functions page up to two weeks after the coaching starts. Subsequently, this option is greyed out.
8. Can I get a refund if I cancel my coaching course?
Once you register and pay, there is no cash refund. Two-thirds of the registration fee you pay is tax-deductible and is used as a scholarship to help a poor child go to college in India. Coaching is done by all volunteers who give their time and effort for this noble cause. If you cancel, you can consider the entire registration fee as 100 percent tax-deductible donation. If you insist on getting a refund of your registration fee, you can get credit for next year for the same subject or another one.
Coaching Classes Related:
9. What do I do if my child is going to miss a class?
NSF coaches are unable to repeat or provide personalized coaching if your child is late to a class or misses a class. Please email your coach and obtain the topics that will be covered during that class. You can study the material at home. If you have any question regarding the material, you can forward them to your coach and get clarifications.
10. How does class participation work in the online class?
Parents are requested to ensure that their child participates in every class and is respectful of other students. Students should be discouraged from disruptive behavior such as writing on the shared whiteboard or chat window while the coach is teaching. Their phone should be set to mute setting unless they are called upon to speak.
Different students are at different levels so don’t let your child get overwhelmed or discouraged if some concepts are new to them.
11. Is it okay if I help my child with the homework?
Yes and No. No, do not jump right in and do the work for your child. This will not give a chance for your child to do some deep thinking and be challenged. Yes, when a child is stuck, you can give some hints for the child to do more research and arrive at the answer.
12. I am too busy with my work. Can I rely on the coach to take care of my child?
No. NSF Coaching is a good starting point in the right direction to prepare your child for the Science Bee competition. As we said earlier, coaches are volunteers and each coach has about 20 children to handle. So don’t rely solely on the NSF coaching for your child to win the competition.
13. Who can I contact if I have questions not addressed in this FAQ?
Please open a Support Ticket on NSF site or send an email to the following email address as appropriate and someone will contact you.
- Junior Science: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Intermediate Science: email@example.com
- Senior Science: firstname.lastname@example.org
14. As a parent, how can I help my child?
You can provide a quiet environment for your child to work every day especially during the online coaching session. Kids will be on the phone and on online session during the class; so a quiet, undisturbed place will help your child a lot. Also make sure you are available during the session and sit along with the child to make notes, especially at the Junior level.
15. How can I help in NSF Science coaching?
You can volunteer to be a coach. You can send an email to email@example.com telling us your background, class timings you can teach and why you want to become a coach. Based on the needs and your background we will evaluate and assign you with a specific level.