The scholarship process
North South Foundation provides scholarships to undergraduate students entering into engineering, medicine or 3-year polytechnic (diploma in engineering) based on merit and financial need. NorthSouth Foundation also considers BVSc, BSc Ag, and B Pharma courses. The scholarship process begins at the chapter level in India with an announcement by the India Chapter Coordinator (ICC) Each India chapter has a volunteer who acts as the ICC, who is responsible for all activities of the chapter – from forming the selection committee, reviewing applications, interviewing applicants and giving the scholarships checks at an awards ceremony. Volunteers who live in USA and are closely associated with a chapter in India act as liaisons. The ten step scholarship process is detailed below.
- India Chapter announces scholarships through local media and in schools (April-June).
- Students send their details and request for an application (June-Aug).
- India Chapter coordinator screens requests and send applications to eligible candidates (June-Aug).
- Applications are completed and mailed by students. Income certificates and mark sheets are part of the application (June-Aug).
- India Chapter Coordinator(ICC) forms a selection panel, reviews applications and shartlists candidates to Interview (Sept).
- ICC and selection panel interview candidates. One parent is expected to accompany the student. Bus or train fee is reimbursed to the student (Sept-Oct).
- ICC sends recommendations to NorthSouth Foundation India Coordinator in Hyderabad (Oct-Nov).
- NorthSouth Foundation India Coordinator and US Scholarships team do file review. Sometimes further clarifications are requested before approval (Oct-Nov)
- The chapter also processes any renewals at t his time since NorthSouth Foundation supports the student through the entire course of study (Aug-Oct).
- India Chapter holds an awards ceremony and honors NorthSouth Foundation scholarships recipients (Dec-Jan).