The brain is the most complex organ in the human body. This three-pound organ is responsible for our intelligence, interpreting sensation, initiating body movement, and controlling human behavior. Scientists have studied the workings for hundreds of years but there is much more to be learned about it.
With the Brain Bee online coaching program, students will learn the fundamental neuroscience concepts. Using this foundation, they will be able to delve into more advanced material as they progress through their neuroscience journey. At NorthSouth, our outlook and belief is that the Brain Bee will provide an additional enrichment to our children’s academic life and better prepare them for scientific careers.
Brain Bee is a neuroscience competition that tests students on their knowledge of the brain and the nervous system. The Brain Bee contest is based mainly off the Brain Facts book, which provides students with a thorough understanding of the basics of the brain from anatomy, synaptic signaling, brain development, nervous system disorders, brain imaging techniques, and more. Competitions take place at the state, national, and international levels and include written multiple-choice questions and oral rounds.
DurationThe coaching program will be a total duration of 16 hours over 8 weeks with 2-hour sessions each week led by previous Bee champions and subject matter experts.
HomeworkReading chapters of Brain Facts book that will be covered in the upcoming class
Quizlets per chapter
Multiple Choice Questions per week
Intermediate Brain Bee - Grades 6-8
- Prerequisite: Read through Brain Facts - A Primer on the Brain and Nervous System
Senior Brain Bee - Grades 9-12 or by exception in Grade 8
- Prerequisite: Read through Brain Facts book
*Note that the IBB syllabus covers the Brain Facts - A Primer on the Brain and Nervous System in-depth during the first three weeks. The remaining five weeks introduces neuroscience topics listed in the Brain Facts book.
Brain Bee Competitions
The skills learned from the coaching class will enable the student to compete in many national and international Brain and Neuroscience competitions.
NorthSouth Brain Bee Competition
We seek to encourage curiosity and after all, in the true spirit of the contest, every contestant is a winner, for he/she has gathered the courage to face the challenge!
- USA Brain Bee (Some states have separate websites)
- International Brain Bee
- AAN Neuroscience Research Prize
- Neuroscience Research Prize
- Neuroethics Essay Contest
- Google Science Fair
- Intel International Science & Engineering Fair
- International BioGENEius Challenge
- National Science Bowl
- National Science Olympiad
- Regeneron Science Talent Search
- Stockholm Junior Walter Prize
- TOPPS Competition for High School Psychology Students
- Conrad Spirit of Innovation Challenge
- National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium Intermediate Brain Bee Online Coaching Syllabus
Please contact email@example.com for any further questions